Talking to the animals

I spent the morning at Taronga Zoo yesterday as Canon Australia was doing a very nice thing and letting people play with their cameras and lenses for free. I got to try out the biggest lens I have ever seen - 200-400mm - but sadly I have no pictures to show you as everything happened at once, camera shake, shutter speed failure, where is the zoom dial? what ISO should I use? help this monopod is going to collapse... ...all made from some very odd blurred pictures of lions and gorillas.
I next played with a 200-400mm lens which was much easier to handle, I took way too many pictures of elephants and views across the harbour. I then moved onto the Zebras and the chimpanzees using the 100-400mm which I loved, it felt lighter and more comfortable to zoom in, easier to use.



































































I took a few more shots with my trusted 24-70mm which felt tiny and insignificant after the bad boys. Needless to say I won't be upgrading lenses anytime soon as they are way out of my price range but it's nice to dream and play. It was a great way to spend the morning and I learnt so much.


13 comments:

  1. You seem to have had fun! Great idea to let folks try out lens (lenses?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific way to spend some time! Very fun.
    Happy March Justine!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. justine this just brings back so many memories. about 10 years ago, my husband had business in sydney and so my daughter and i got to travel with him. (in fact it was over spring break which is next week here for us.) anyway, during the day while he was in meetings, my daughter and i would explore and see the sights around sydney. which of course included the taronga zoo. :)

    what a great way to start the day with warm and fuzzy memories. :) thank you for sharing your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun...love the elephant photo. I just watched the movie Water for Elephants and it was such a good movie. I loved Rosie...the elephant...and bawled and bawled when the ring leader beat her. Elephants are so gentle, but I have been told they can be pretty mean. The zoo here in Wichita, Kansas sells paintings done by elephants in the gift shop. They are just big swipes of color. Very fun.

    Your photos are amazing Justine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had some fun! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun to get to play with all the long lens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to get to play with some lens.. Your photos look great.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds wonderful! You got some terrific pictures - my favorite is the twin zebra butts. Oops, I mean TAILS. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my goodness, Justine! I can just imagine what a fun day this was for photographers. You were so fortunate to experience this. And you got some fabulous shots! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Zebra butts!!! What a fabulous opportunity to familiarize potential customers with their lenses!!! Good for Canon!!! And how fun for you!!! I'm sure it registered a lens or two in the recesses of your brain for future Christmas lists!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the zebra bottoms, beautifully composed, & those lizard faces are great. The zoo's in such a beautiful spot isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh, the bottom face, amazing details! And like others, I do love those zebra bottoms - it's like abstract art:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. All these big lenses! This must have been great fun. I really love your Zebra image!.. and I have wonderful memories of this zoo!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger